Juergen Salenbacher has recently written his book entitled Creative Personal Branding which I highly recommend for everyone. It is suited for those in any sort of creative industry, those looking to align themselves and their approach to their professions, or, infact, anybody who is looking to clear out their thoughts, focus their energies and direct themselves to achieve their potential.
After having read this book, I felt I must share it with all of you. I was lucky enough to have him answer a few questions for us where he shares his insights, his creative and his personal direction.
If you are interested in what he has to say, be sure to check out his website and follow his Facebook page for updates.
Z. Creative Personal Branding is a great title for your book. Tell us who is this book intended for and how does it help guide creative minds in various industries?
JS. This book is for students, freelancers, entrepreneurs but also for managers. It is not a question of age, education or job. I think we are all somehow in the same boat, with the same necessity, thinking about what’s next in our careers while this economy is transforming at a speed never seen before. Many of us are in limbo, in between things, insecure. Many of us work on one thing, but would like to do something different. Just imagine that, according to a study, only 9% of all workers in Europe do something that is in line with their personality. So what are the other 91% doing?
The book guides you through a structured process to develop a strategy to answer what’s next, one that springs out of your personality, that takes advantage of your creative thinking, and uses the branding methodology to communicate the things you have to offer the world.
Z. What inspired you to pen your insights in this book and share them with the world? Perhaps it was one specific event (or the lack of) in your life?
JS. I think it is important to have some guidance in our careers. I personally would have loved to have that kind of guidance, I actually was always looking for it. We spend so much time of our lives working, it makes sense to reflect on what is going on with our economy, how industries change, how companies reinvent their businesses, and in consequence what are new competencies and skills for the individual. Woody Allen once said: I like to think about the future, It is actually the place where I spend the rest of my life.
Z. In your opinion, what is lacking in the creative industry today? Is there any advice you would give or any changes you would make in the creative process to enhance the outcome?
JS. What we are missing is creative leadership, people with real substance, style, conviction and grace. I am not talking about being hip. I am talking about substance, that means your expertise on a specific topic, your education, knowledge, experience and reference. Style is the way you talk, listen, write, perform and dress. Conviction is really important, your perspective on ethics and integrity, your moral principles and firmly held beliefs or opinions based on your values. And grace, the elegance in your relationship with society. This creative leadership is really different, it means inspiration instead of authority, collaboration instead of hierarchy, participation instead of delegation.
Z. What comes next for Juergen Salenbacher? Are you working on any project that your readers can anticipate in the future?
JS. I strongly believe in talent, I will continue working with and for talent, young and old, inspiring and transmitting the importance of hybrid creative leadership combining creativity and business. In schools, universities and in companies, if possible in countries like India, Brasil and Argentina. Writing a new book (but first I need to recover from the first one!), and I would also do the first creative personal branding workshop for kids.